Save on Your Online Education Degree
You’ve Always Known You Were Destined To Make A Difference
Request More Information
Complete this form to receive information about coursework, admissions, tuition and more.
Note: All fields required.
Teacher Connect: Earn up to $50 per Credit Hour
The Teacher Connect program at UWA partners with school systems to help teachers and aspiring teachers complete education degrees online while qualifying for a tuition scholarship of up to $50 per credit hour. It can be applied to over 40 online education programs for certification (undergraduate and graduate level) at UWA. If you would like to become a teacher or increase your marketability as a teacher, you could be eligible for a scholarship that will make your education more affordable.
- The University of West Alabama is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- The Julia S. Tutwiler College of Education’s educator preparation programs are approved by the Alabama Department of Education.
- All educator certification programs are nationally accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
- UWA Online is proud to offer tuition that is among the most affordable in the state.
Online Education Degrees and Certificates
Discover the online program that offers a path to your goals.
Build knowledge in topics that span multiple teaching areas, from early childhood development to special education. You can prepare to teach elementary classes or get certified in Collaborative Teacher/Special Education.
- BS Early Childhood Development
- BS Early Childhood/Elementary Education (P-3/K-6)
- BS Special Education: Collaborative Teacher
- General Science: Teacher Certification
Pursue a teaching career in the state of Alabama or change the subject or grade you teach with one of the 12 certifications listed below. You can earn a master’s level teaching certification and a Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) or Master of Education (MEd) degree. To apply, you must hold a bachelor’s or master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution with a minimum 2.75 GPA or 3.00 GPA, respectively.
- Alt. A Biology, 6-12 (MEd or MAT)
- Alt. A Early Childhood & Elementary Education, P-3/K-6
- Alt. A Early Childhood Education, P-3
- Alt. A Elementary Education, K-6
- Alt. A English Language Arts, 6-12 (MEd or MAT)
- Alt. A General Science, 6-12 (MEd or MAT)
- Alt. A History, 6-12 (MEd or MAT)
- Alt. A Mathematics, 6-12 (MEd or MAT)
- Alt. A Physical Education, P-12
- Alt. A Social Science, 6-12
- Alt. A Special Education: Collaborative Teacher, K-6
- Alt. A Special Education: Collaborative Teacher, 6-12
Achieve your goals as an educator by building teaching skills and preparing to meet the development needs of children and adult learners. Our programs impart qualifications for careers in early childhood, elementary and high school settings, as well as instructional leadership, library media and technology. You can also seek your doctorate in education to focus on critical rural education issues.
- EdD Rural Education
- MA Teaching (Certification or Non-Certification)
- MEd Early Childhood Development
- MEd Early Childhood Education, P-3
- MEd Elementary Education, K-6
- MEd High School Education, 6-12
- MEd Instructional Leadership
- MEd Learning, Design & Technology
- MEd Library Media
- MEd Physical Education, P-12
- MEd School Counseling
- MEd Special Education: Collaborative Teacher, K-6
- MEd Special Education: Collaborative Teacher, 6-12
- MEd Student Affairs in Higher Education
- MS Adult Continuing Education
- Library Media option
- MS Physical Education
Develop superior practices to advance as an educator ready to improve students’ lives. Our online EdS programs enable you to acquire specialized qualifications for leadership roles in P-12 settings, with options for studying counseling, library media and other topics.
- EdS Counseling (non-certification)
- EdS Early Childhood Education P-3 (certification)
- EdS Elementary Education K-6 (certification)
- EdS Instructional Leadership (certification)
- EdS Library Media (certification or non-certification)
- EdS School Counseling (certification)
- EdS Special Education: Collaborative Teacher, K-6 (certification)
- EdS Special Education: Collaborative Teacher, 6-12 (certification)
- EdS Teacher Leader (certification)
In just one year, you can pursue qualifications to move into instructional leadership, special education or teaching. These online programs help you meet requirements set by the Alabama State Department of Education (ALSDE) while also preparing you for advanced education roles.
- Post-Master’s Certificate: Instructional Leadership
- Provisional Certification in a Teaching Field
- Temporary Special Education Certificate
Learn More About the Teacher Connect Scholarship
For inquiries on becoming a partnering school system, please email email@example.com.
Students enrolled with UWA prior to the introduction of Teacher Connect must meet the following criteria in order to convert to the program:
- Students must be pursuing an online education degree with teacher certification.
- Work in a school system participating in Teacher Connect.
- Cumulative and program GPA must be 3.0 or higher.
- Students cannot have holds on their student accounts or owe any balances.
- Students must be in good standing with the university.
- Students’ school system must approve their participation in the program.
- The Teacher Connect Scholarship will not apply to any repeated coursework.
Students starting a new degree with UWA must:
- Work in a school system participating in Teacher Connect.
- Meet all Teacher Connect deadlines as published on the Connect Calendar.
- Meet any prerequisites established by their school system.
Once in Teacher Connect, participants must maintain a cumulative 3.0 GPA throughout the program.
Once a Teacher Connect participant begins a new program, participants will have 24 months to complete the degree requirements.
Register and submit a scholarship request no later than the date shown below to receive this scholarship.*
- Spring One 2023: December 28, 2023
- Spring Two 2024: February 29, 2024
- Summer One 2024: May 2, 2024
- Summer Two 2024: June 13, 2024
* The Instructional Leadership programs (MEd: IL, EdS IL, EdS Teacher Leader and the IL Alabama Class A Reduced Hour Option) require a two-step application process (1 application to the university and 1 application to the program). Because the second application can require additional time, applicants need to start the UWA application as early as possible in order to meet the Connect deadlines for acceptance, class registration, etc.
To participate in the TEACHER CONNECT Program (even if you have received the scholarship in the past):
- Verify that your school system is a Teacher Connect partner by checking the list of participating school districts.
- Apply to UWA and be accepted into UWA.
- Review the Connect Calendar to make sure you understand all scholarship deadlines. Connect programs have special class registration deadlines that are earlier than regular deadlines. Participants will only receive the scholarship for the course(s) they are registered for by the connect deadline.
- Verify that your registration processed correctly by checking your courses on WebAdvisor. Then, complete the Teacher Connect Verification Form*. The completed form can be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The completed Teacher Connect Verification form only has to be submitted one time to be eligible each subsequent term.
* You must reapply for the Teacher Connect Program (submit Teacher Connect verification form) for multiple degrees you pursue with UWA and if you change school districts while in the program.
ALABAMA SCHOOL SYSTEMS:
- Accel Academy
- Alabama Department of Early Childhood Education
- Alabama Department of Youth Services School District 210
- Alabama Math, Science & Technology Initiative
- Alabaster City Schools
- Albertville City Schools
- Alexander City Schools
- Andalusia City Schools
- Anniston City Schools
- Arab City Schools
- Athens City Schools
- Autauga County Schools
- Baldwin County Schools
- Barbour County Schools
- Bessemer City Schools
- Bibb County Schools
- Birmingham City Schools
- Blount County Schools
- Boaz City Schools
- Brewton City Schools
- Butler County Schools
- Calhoun County Schools
- Chambers Academy
- Cherokee County Schools
- Chickasaw City Schools
- Chilton County Schools
- Choctaw County Schools
- Clarke County Schools
- Clay County Schools
- Cleburne County Schools
- Coffee County Schools
- Colbert County Schools
- Conecuh County Schools
- Covington County Schools
- Crenshaw County Schools
- Cullman City Schools
- Cullman County Schools
- Dale County Schools
- Dallas County Schools
- Decatur City Schools
- DeKalb County Schools
- Demopolis City Schools
- Dothan City Schools
- Elba City Schools
- Elmore County Schools
- Enterprise City Schools
- Escambia County Schools
- Etowah County Schools
- Eufaula City Schools
- Fairfield City Schools
- Fayette County Schools
- Fort Payne City Schools
- Foundations Early Learning
- Franklin County Schools
- Gadsden City Schools
- Geneva City Schools
- Geneva County Schools
- Government Street Christian School
- Greene County Schools
- Gulf Shores City Schools
- Hale County Schools
- Haleyville City Schools
- Hartselle City Schools
- Henry County Schools
- Homewood City Schools
- Hoover City Schools
- Houston County Schools
- Huntsville City Schools
- i3 Academy
- Jackson Academy
- Jackson County Schools
- Jasper City Schools
- Jefferson County Schools
- Lamar County Schools
- Lanett City Schools
- Lauderdale County Schools
- Lawrence County Schools
- Lee County Schools
- Leeds City Schools
- Legacy Prep School
- Limestone County Schools
- Linden City Schools
- Lowndes County Schools
- Macon County Public Schools
- Madison City Schools
- Madison County Schools
- Magic City Acceptance Academy
- Marengo County Schools
- Marion County Schools
- Marshall County Schools
- Midfield City Schools
- Mobile County Public Schools
- Monroe County Schools
- Montgomery Public Schools
- Morgan County Schools
- Mountain Brook City Schools
- Muscle Shoals City Schools
- Northside Methodist Academy
- Oneonta City Schools
- Opelika City Schools
- Opp City Schools
- Orange Beach City Schools
- Oxford City Schools
- Ozark City Schools
- Pelham City Schools
- Pell City Schools
- Perry County Schools
- Phenix City Schools
- Pickens County Schools
- Piedmont City Schools
- Pike County Schools
- Pike Road Schools
- Prichard Preparatory School
- Randolph County Schools
- Reach University
- Roanoke City Schools
- Russell County Schools
- Russellville City Schools
- Sacred Heart Catholic School (Alabama)
- Saraland City Schools
- Satsuma City Schools
- Scottsboro City Schools
- Selma City Schools
- Sequel School
- Sheffield City Schools
- Shelby County Schools
- Spring Valley Schools
- St. Clair County Schools
- Sumter County Schools
- Sylacauga City Schools
- Talladega City Schools
- Talladega County Schools
- Tallapoosa County Schools
- Tallassee City Schools
- Tarrant City Schools
- The Capitol School
- Thomasville City Schools
- Troy City Schools
- Trussville City Schools
- TSI of Alabama
- Tuscaloosa Academy
- Tuscaloosa City Schools
- Tuscaloosa County Schools
- Tuscumbia City Schools
- University Charter School
- Vestavia City Schools
- Walker County Schools
- Washington County Schools
- Wilcox County Schools
- Winfield City Schools
- Winston County Schools
GEORGIA SCHOOL SYSTEMS
- Haralson County Schools
- Newton County Schools
- Towns County Schools
- Ware County Schools
MISSISSIPPI SCHOOL SYSTEMS
- Kemper County Schools
- Lauderdale County Schools
- Meridian Public Schools
- National Latent Print Examiner Academy
- Neshoba County
- New Albany Public Schools
- Philadelphia School District
SOUTH CAROLINA SCHOOL SYSTEMS
- Greenville County Schools
TENNESSEE SCHOOL SYSTEMS
- Lincoln County Schools
UWA is located in the heart of Livingston on the western border of the state. As one of the oldest and most prestigious colleges in Alabama, we’ve been helping students pursue their dreams and goals since 1835. Join more than 3,500 online learners and take advantage of our tradition of excellence with our flexible online programs.Request Info
Where Flexibility Meets Quality
UWA designs online classes to provide the flexibility needed to balance your school and work commitments. The courses offer the same rigor found on campus, so you can engage in quality education to prepare for career success. As you take classes online, your success coach will offer guidance and assist with your questions.
Enhance Your Effectiveness as an Educator
UWA’s education programs prepare you to provide learning experiences that meet the needs of students of every age. Develop the expertise needed to succeed in teaching or administrative roles, with options for acquiring the certification required for instructional leadership, library media and other fields.
Pursue Your Dream Job
Achieve your goals as an educator by building teaching skills and preparing to meet the development needs of children and adult learners. Our programs impart the qualifications for a career field projected to have more than 900,000 job openings each year from 2021 to 2031.1
Career Paths in Education
- Education administrator: $102,650 per year2
- Elementary school teacher: $61,350 per year1
- Instructional designer: $66,524 per year3
- Student affairs director: $77,419 per year4
Request More InformationRequest Info
Terms & Conditions
The University of West Alabama
Teacher Connect Scholarship Program
Terms and conditions between the University of West Alabama (UWA) and teachers of partner school districts (hereinafter referred to as “Participant”) who wish to enter the Teacher Connect Scholarship Program.
a. This agreement allows Participants, who are approved by a partner school district, to participate in the Teacher Connect Scholarship Program (hereinafter referred to as “Teacher Connect”) for online undergraduate and graduate education degrees with teacher certification offered by UWA. Teacher Connect is available only for online degree programs. Teacher Connect pricing is only applicable to courses required for the Participant’s degree program. It is not applicable to on-campus programs or courses and it is not applicable to on-campus courses that may be required to complete an online degree program.
b. Participants who wish to participate in Teacher Connect must be an employee in good standing with a partner school district.
c. Participants who enter degree programs that qualify for master’s degrees or higher level certificates or for special endorsements or state recognition or board certification or state certification for their respective states should check carefully the requirements of their states.
d. Participants approved by a partner school district to participate in Teacher Connect must apply to UWA for admission and meet all admission requirements before applying for Teacher Connect.
a. UWA agrees to grant Participants a partial “scholarship” in the form of an adjusted per credit hour amount. This adjusted per credit hour amount will be determined each academic year. UWA reserves the right to adjust tuition and the Teacher Connect pricing at the start of each academic year.
b. Textbooks, technology fees and course supplies or fees are not included in the Teacher Connect pricing.
c. Teacher Connect pricing is only applicable to courses required for the Participant’s degree program. It is not applicable to on-campus programs or courses and it is not applicable to on-campus courses that may be required to complete an online degree program.
d. Teacher Connect pricing applies to a class one time. It will not be re-applied to the same course if the Participant re-takes or fails the course for any reason. If a participant withdrawals from a course(s) for any reason the “scholarship” will be revoked upon the withdrawal which may result in an account balance.
e. Participants in Teacher Connect and Participants enrolled at UWA prior to the introduction of Teacher Connect must meet the following criteria in order to stay or convert to the program:
i. The Participant must be pursuing an online education degree with teacher certification.
ii. Program GPA must be 3.0 or higher.
iii. The Participant cannot have “holds” on their student accounts or owe any balances.
iv. The Participant must be in good standing with the University.
v. The Participant’s school district must approve their participation in the program.
vi. Teacher Connect pricing applies to a class one time. It will not be re-applied to the same course if the Participant re-takes or fails the course for any reason. If a participant withdrawals from a course(s) for any reason the “scholarship” will be revoked upon the withdrawal which may result in an account balance.
vii. The Participant must provide a valid email address from their current school district of employment.
viii. The Participant must abide by all policies & procedures and requirements set by the university, colleges and academic programs.
Once a Teacher Connect Participant begins a program, the Participant will have 24 months to complete degree requirements under the Teacher Connect pricing arrangement. In the case where a Teacher Connect Participant pursues a bachelor’s or doctorate degree, the Participant will have 48 months to complete degree requirements under the Teacher Connect Scholarship Program.
a. UWA will bill each Participant net of the scholarship amount.
b. Participants are eligible to apply for federal financial assistance through the UWA Financial Aid Office. (Note that certain Veteran benefits cannot be combined with the Teacher Connect Scholarship Program. UWA’s Registrar’s office can determine which VA benefits can be used in combination with the scholarship.)
c. If a Participant withdraws from a class, UWA will follow normal withdrawal refund policies. Teacher Connect pricing applies to a class one time. It will not be re-applied to the same course if the Participant re-takes or fails the course for any reason. If a participant withdrawals from a course(s) for any reason the “scholarship” will be revoked upon the withdrawal which may result in an account balance.
d. The Teacher Connect Scholarship Program cannot be combined with other connect scholarship programs.
e. Participant must be registered for their course(s) by the Connect Deadline each term to be eligible for the scholarship.
i. For eligibility verification, the Participant’s school district will provide the UWA Teacher Connect coordinator a list of all approved Participants twice a year during the Fall I & Spring II terms. UWA reserves the right to obtain additional verification at any point and for any reason in order for the Participant to join or remain in the Teacher Connect Scholarship Program.
ii. Participants will apply to UWA using the standard online application.
iii. In order to ensure sufficient time for scholarship processing, Participant agrees to register for classes by published dates that are unique to the Teacher Connect Scholarship Program. These dates are different from those that are not enrolled in Teacher Connect. Teacher Connect deadlines are published on the UWA website.
iv. The Participant must complete and submit the Teacher Connect Scholarship Program Participant Verification Form in order to apply for Teacher Connect.
UWA reserves the right to change, amend, modify, suspend, continue or terminate all or any part of the acknowledgment either in an individual case or in general, at any time without notice or reason.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. “Education, Training, and Library Occupations.” Retrieved December 16, 2022, from https://www.bls.gov/.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. “Occupational Employment and Wages, May 2021: 11-9032 Education Administrators, Kindergarten through Secondary.” Retrieved December 16, 2022, from https://www.bls.gov/.
- Payscale. “Average Instructional Designer Salary.” Retrieved December 16, 2022, from https://www.payscale.com/.
- Payscale. “Average Director of Student Affairs Salary.” Retrieved December 16, 2022, from https://www.payscale.com/.